Share This Article

I have a friend who states that he is a retired Sgt./Major in the Air Force. I know he was an E9 but that is not a Sgt./Major for the Air Force. I think he wants to be a Marine!

Thank you



Dear Mr. Ratliff,

In the U.S. Air Force the highest ranking NCO in pay grade E-9 is called a Chief Master Sergeant. In the same pay grade is the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, of which there have been 16 since 1967. According to our resident former Air Force man, “If you hold the position of a ‘senior enlisted advisor,’ considered the senior enlisted person for a major command, you would be called a ‘Command Chief Master Sergeant,’ that rank is also E-9.”



Jon Guttman
Research Director
World History Group
More Questions at Ask Mr. History