Vung Tau - Vietnam's Hottest R&R Destination | HistoryNet MENU

Vung Tau – Vietnam’s Hottest R&R Destination

By Jeanne Conte
8/12/2008 • Vietnam

One of an estimated 100 bars in Vung Tau during the Vietnam War. Many bore the names of U.S. towns or other familiar places. Vietnam Virtual Archive, Texas Tech University.
One of an estimated 100 bars in Vung Tau during the Vietnam War. Many bore the names of U.S. towns or other familiar places. Vietnam Virtual Archive, Texas Tech University.

Its beautiful and peaceful beaches offered a relaxing respite from the brutality of war raging just miles away.

It is a remarkable place, Vietnam’s seaport city of Vung Tau. Situated on a tiny strip of land shaped like a thumb extending into the South China Sea near the southern end of the country, it has long been a place of escape and of rescue, of refuge and of healing.

The resort beach, long known as Cap Saint Jacques, had been a favorite getaway for the French colonials and the wealthy of Saigon since the late 19th century. During the Vietnam War, Vung Tau was a city of both war and peace, serving as an important and active port and as a favorite R&R spot for fighting men. Today, spurred by the country’s economic vitality, oil exploration and a growing tourist industry, Vung Tau is bustling with development.

As the American troop buildup began, Vung Tau became a point of debarkation for tens of thousands of GIs. In the vicinity were a number of U.S. Naval facilities, and a fully equipped repair depot, USNS Corpus Christi Bay, was anchored a few miles away. A large contingent of Australian and New Zealand airmen were also stationed in the Vung Tau area.

Bireley's, one of many beachside concessions stands at Vung Tau. Vietnam Virtual Archive, Texas Tech University.
Bireley's, one of many beachside concessions stands at Vung Tau. Vietnam Virtual Archive, Texas Tech University.
But for most Americans, Vung Tau is best remembered as one of the most popular in-country rest and recuperation (R&R) destinations. Its beautiful and peaceful beaches offered a relaxing respite from the brutality of war raging just miles away. The place was so desirable that many men stationed at nearby bases were afraid to leave, refusing to take R&R elsewhere for fear they would be transferred out of Vung Tau when they got back. It was even widely rumored that not only was Vung Tau used by the Americans, Australians, South Vietnamese and their allies as an R&R destination, but even the Viet Cong would go to the city for some rest and relaxation of their own.

Many of the estimated 100 bars in Vung Tau during the war were named after American cities, towns or other familiar places, in an attempt to make the U.S. troops feel at home. Some of the bars in town were reportedly joint ventures between Americans and Vietnamese. The downtown section was filled with dance halls and young women and soldiers poured into the clubs where the latest rock music blared. An article, “Vung Tau, Vietnam, Pleasure Capital of the World,” ran in Argosy magazine in 1969.

As early as the mid-1960s, both Vietnam’s General Nguyen Khanh and American General William Westmoreland eyed Vung Tau as a possible evacuation route should that become a necessity. Their thoughts proved prophetic. After the war, Vung Tau served as an evacuation point for tens of thousands of boat people fleeing Communist rule. Fishing trawlers bulging with refugees set sail, never to return. Some of the passengers made it to safety, while others perished. Many boats were forced back to land, and their occupants were arrested and served prison terms. One man told of having given all that he had three times to sail away, but the boat was forced back to shore each time; he served three prison terms. Thousands of South Vietnamese continued to attempt escape via Vung Tau through the mid-1980s.

Today, the resort town is split into two areas. On Front Beach are most of the more expatriate-oriented hotels, restaurants and bars, while Back Beach caters to tourists and Vietnamese vacationers. On one end of Vung Tau, beside Nui Lon (large mountain), a giant lotus sculpture raises its flower toward the heavens. It stands at the summit of a hillside park called Thic Ca Phat Dai. A Rio de Janeiro–style giant Jesus, built in 1974, stands on top of Nui Nho (small mountain), which rises at the city’s southern end.

Hotel accommodations run from luxury four-star operations to mini hotels and guest houses. Vung Tau is also home to Vietnam’s first links-style golf course.

Jeanne Conte is a freelance writer living in Powell, Ohio.

For more photos and recollections of Vung Tau, check out this veteran site:

Also, see the Vung Tau pages of the Vietnam Project at Texas Tech University:

And, take an entertaining trip back to 1971 with this rare short video from Vung Tau:

175 Responses to Vung Tau – Vietnam’s Hottest R&R Destination

  1. […] Vung Tau – Vietnam’s Hottest R&R Destination » HistoryNet – From the World’s Largest Hi… […]

  2. Al Feser says:

    In January 2008 myself and another 23rd MP Company, Americal Division,veteran spent one month on the ground in Vietnam. We traveled south from PhuBai to Saigon by local busses, traveling light and having fun with friendly Vietnamese, we stopped along the way in Hue, HoiAn, TamKy, ChuLai, Quinhon, and NhaTrang. We visited VungTau and it was a nice R&R. I would not however suggest to anyone that they swim off the front beach or any other beach for that matter. All of the storm drains and sewers empty straight into the sea and locals think nothing of squatting down at the shore line to answer natures call. Euro and Aussie wind surfers are out in force on the beach, and on the weekends the beach is crowded with modern day Saigon cowboys and their girlfriends. There were some nice restaurants, decent 2 star air conditioned hotels could be had for $20.00 USD double, massage parlors and pretty, friendly Vietnamese girls/women were in abundance, Tiger beer could be had for about .75 USD per bottle, what more could an old soldier on R&R ask for. In my opinion the only way to travel from VungTau to or from Saigon is on the high speed hydrofoil ferry that leaves from a pier along the back beach side of VungTau on an houly basis. At about $10.00 USD one way it is a 1.5 hr scenic boat ride through the mangrove swamps of the RungSat Special Zone and up the Saigon River. VungTau is certainly worth a visit if you are in Vietnam. While in Saigon stay at the Spring House Hotel for $20.00 double and eat breakfast, drink beer at a sidewalk table in the evenings, and use the computers at the Saigon Cyber Cafe around the corner, you will not be disappointed.

  3. peter vincent says:

    i served in sth vietnam during 1970/71 with an australian
    infantry battalion and about once every 8/9 weeks we would go
    on R in C to Vung Tau. there was nothing in the way of self
    gratification or pleasure that could not be purchased. it was like
    the old western “wide open” towns of folklore. i grew up in Kings
    Cross, Sydney and thought i had seen it all. hadn’t even scratched
    the surface. now, 38yrs later, memories of the “old” Vungers still
    bring a smile or two.

    • Lyndsay (Rabbit) Moynham says:

      Hi Peter, I was in the Dat with 2 RAR 70-71 and yes mate many a fond memory of Vungers float through my now 64 year old brain. God I cant believe i served Vung Tau, some of the drug and alcohol effected nights .It was along time ago now god bless us all.

  4. David Rice says:

    I was stationed in Vung Tau from January – October 1971. What a wild, wide open place it was. The troops coming in for R&R would party 24/7 (or as long as their $ held out). The bars & dance clubs were crowded every night & the beach at the R&R
    center (on Back Beach) were crowed during the day. I also
    remember some quality restaurants in town where you could get
    great meals for practically nothing. I have fond memories of my
    time in Vung Tau and hope to return for a visit some day.

    • Norman Olsen says:

      Hi David,

      i’m Norm was at vung tau 1971, i have a? you may be able to answer
      Is the Zebra club at the vung tau airbase inside the American PX building?
      or is the Zebra club near by on the same side of the street, i once entered an American canteen in this imidiate vicinity.
      Do you know if they are located in the same building, or if it’s just the a canteen incorperated inside the PX where i sat and had asoft drink on arriving at the base thank,s David.

      • Pete Raymant says:

        The Zebra club was club all on its own, nothing to do with the PX. I was there 70-71 with the RAAF and went there once or twice, or maybe a couple of times more than that. Probably went into town a bit more or over to 1ALSG to have a couple of beers with Australian Army mates at Back Beach.
        Peter Raymant

      • Pete Raymant says:

        Further to this the other EM type club, was called the Sandpiper, however this closed in 1970, I think we may have inherited one of their airconditioners !!!!!
        Peter Raymant

    • David Rice says:

      I got to spend 10 days in Vung Tau in September 2013. I had just finished 2 weeks with a Habitat for Humanity team in My Tho in the delta. I took the hydrofoil down river from Saigon (an adventure in itself). Seeing VT from the water almost took my breath away! Still as beautiful as I remember it. The hydrofoil terminal is just south of Front Beach. The Grand Hotel is still operating and has been totally remodeled. The area between the Grand and the water has been redone into a rather large part full of statues. Also a divided 4-lane highway now follows the shoreline around the peninsula. I got my first look at Back Beach from the back seat of a taxi. We were headed north after following the shoreline around windy beach and the old quarry. I have to admit my heart sank a little. Remembering nothing but white beaches and Palm trees it was a shock to see all the development that has occurred there. More high rise buildings and hotels than you can count and the resulting clutter that comes with it. I found where the Aussy R&R Center was and headed back south and stopped where I think the US one was. Walked out on the beach to talk pictures and they tried to run me off saying “Private, Private” so I did what they used to do and pretended I didn’t understand them. I left when I was good and ready. Also, who would believe that there would be an amusement park on the top of Big Mountain and a gondola ride to get up there? Not much of the old time Vung Tau still exists and the area suffers from over development and over population but it was still an amazing visit.

      • Lyndsay (Rabbit) Moynham says:

        Hey David , thanks for the heads up im going back for a few days after 45 years just to have a look and see how it hits me …Rabbit

  5. doc judd says:

    during 1965 I was in vung tau and there was a line of barbed wire running from the jungle to the waterline at the northen end,when I enquired it was exlplained that it was the borderline between the vc on rand r and the allies,was talking to one vc and he said that he often saw AUSSIES wearing a funny hat.bush hat

  6. Donald S. Warren says:

    Hi . We are Mom & Pop Warren . We arrived in Vung Tau Sept 27th 67.We set up a Servicemen’s Home ( A Home away from home for our Servicemen.) We had lots of “our Boys” visit and stay with us . after the first year ,we saw the need of A Foster Home for Amerasian Babies that were being Abandoued We partnered with a Vietnamese family and built a home for them . They had 8 Children of their own . and ended up with 10 of their own . By the time we left vietnam in August of 1974 we had kept 276 Babies and got them adopted into homes all over the USA. We are still hearing from lots of them and also ,our vietnamese friends that came to the States. After the war we took 65 refugees to a ranch outside of Bakersfield, C. and got them set up in homes, cars, schools amnd jobs. It was a Thrill to see how they have succeeded in Thier new Country. Thank Don Warren

    • tuan van nguyen says:

      Dear mom & pop..grandma & granpa.
      this is your grandson Rocky. (Tuan nguyen) please forgive me for not contacting you cell # is (714)417-8983 I am currently reside in the city of fountain vally, ca…i hope we can be in contact soon…
      with love.

      god bless you both….


    • Louis Nicholas says:

      I first met the warrens in the chaplains office in Vung Tau. They were witnesses at our wedding in December 1967. Little did I know that God’s calling would do through their faithfulness. My wife Chi Kim is in Vietnam today and hopefully attending at the assembly in Hochimincity. She will be returning home here in Maine soon. I would be thrilled to know any info concerning the warrens and what has transpired by the hand of God on their lives.

      • tuan van nguyen says:

        Hello mr. Nicholas
        My name is Tuan aka rocky….I am one on the orphanage children that mom & pop Waren was caring when i was in Vung Tau Viet nam. FYI the last timeI was in contact with mom and pop warren when they reside in the city Barstow, California I believe they are still living in that city. please contact me my cell # is 714/417-8983.
        Best regard.
        Tuan nguyen

    • David C. Bowers says:

      I so deeply pray that God’s will has sustained you each into even longer years
      of life. Being there in 1973 has been about the most significant event in my
      life, all the way to Operation Baby Lift in 1975. Been in NY all these years.
      Worked in healthcare/hospitals-but also lately as a retired patient-had two
      open heart surgeries. There is more I wrote further below-#40.
      Love and Blessings always in abundance……..David C. Bowers

    • Brian Hjort says:


      I am helping amerasians and Vietnam vets in locating each other.I had an case where an vet are looking for hes amerasian child.The mother used to work in an hotel next to the R&R place in Vung Tau in 1967,the mother’s uncle own the hotel.She was about 16 years and he 19.He was working as an MP.
      If anyone can help,then please contact me at:

    • David C. Bowers says:

      It is so wonderful to hear that the Good Lord has rewarded you both with such a long and fulfilling life. The time in 1973 at the Home and Orphanage-worked with the Phat’s/Jo Hewitt/ Minister Glenn(while you were in the states on R&R and fundraising has been the greatest and most meaningful blessing of my life. thanks to you both. I am still ticking after two open heart surgeries, but did retire from healthcare admin work in 2006-32 years of work and at 66 now am retired and have been married for 36 years. I did see two of the children- Dorothy and Lucy- when they came to US in Operation Baby Lift-adopted by the Jones in Columbia, MD who later unfortunately divorced. God bless you ever so dearly with His Love and comforting arms! 347-330-5770(Bronx, NY) & on fb

  7. Mike Gabennesch says:

    I was stationed in Vung Tau from December 1968 to December 1969. I was a lifeguard at the back beach for the first six months, then I ran the ice cream plant that provided ice cream for about 7,000 troops a week including the Aussies.

    We used to eat at the USO because we liked their strawberry shakes. In the village we ate “gook” sandwiches. At the Beachcomber (located at the beach) we ate grilled cheese sandwiches.

    All lifeguards were called “Steve” by the Vietnamese because more than one of the early lifeguards had first names of Steve and they had a reputation of fighting with the “Cowboys”.

    On the beach we had pinapple girls and surfboards. Bar girls could not get on the beach by themselves without our permission. They had to accompany a GI.

    In between our beach and the Aussies’ was a section for the Koreans. Fierce soldiers.

    The Aussies had a built-in swimming pool at their resort.

    Vung Tau was also a black market center for Vietnam.

    If anyone was there at the beach working, or living in Vung Tau when I was there, email me at


  8. Harry Miller says:

    I had R&R at Vung Tau. I remember arriving and buying a bottle of vodka and some canned tomatoe juice. To be honest I don’t remember my stay or even leaving to return to my unit. But I must of had a great time or at least that was what I was told by my two friends that also had R&R at the same time.

    Harry Miller
    USA Retired

  9. william m chambers says:

    I was at vung tau 2 time and stayed with mom & pop better know
    as the warrens also met there brother.serve in viet nam twice 1st
    time with the 9th inf out of dong tam would like to hear from them. thank you

  10. Jack Thompson says:

    As a Line Captain with Air America flew there many times. However did not get to enjoy the fun and the sandy beach but did get a good view frfom the air. This was in 1966,67,68. Jack Thompson Montgomery, Alabama 334-799-7520

    • Steve Bowman says:

      Hello Jack, I was there from Oct 66 to Oct 67 with a small Infantry Platoon who helped secure the airfield and VT peninsula. I remember you guys flying in and of the VT airfield with cargo planes and choppers, all white. Have a few photos – 1 with a C-47 (DC-3) cargo plane that ran off the run-way. I also have a good friend that flew Air America in the early to mid 60s. Lots of great stories. I’ll pass on the photo if you would like – but would need an email. Some of our guys would fly gunner on the AA Hueys now and then. Take care!

  11. Berwyn Steele says:

    I was in a A-1 H-J squardon onboard the USS Midway before it went to the yards.The squardon I was in still is flying but in the new type aircraft and on one of the newer carriers. We still visit back and forth and keep in touch by e-mail or phone. The squardon moved onboard the USS Coral Sea and we made two more cruises on her after the midway went into the yards. We were sent off the ship and went in to chue liy or danag we picket up a group of marines and went out with them and tried to find an A-1 that had been shot down and get the gun camera out before the VC got to the plane. We were never very luckey as the vc always beat us to the plane and took as much as they could and put a gernade to the plane. We were always to late. We got our butts shot at alot. The A-1 aircraft was a good attack aircraft and a fighter also as our squardon shot down a russian aircraft while they were out on patrol shot one down and may have shot the other one down also. Very good aircraft the old A-1 was. God Bless America.

  12. Mike White says:

    Hi, I was bar manager of the R&R Center in Vung Tau in ’68 & ’69. Spent three tours in RVN from ’67 – ’70. The most beautiful country and beaches I have ever seen.

    I have spent many hours on the web trying to find pictures of the R&R Center with no luck. I didn’t take any pictures myself-wish I had. I was the guy in the blue shirt usually sitting in the shoeshine chair at the end of the bar talking to the shoeshine boy ‘Bingo’.

    If anyone has any pictures of the R&R Center that they would ahare, I would really appreciate it (

    I’m 65 now and double retired. Have had two bouts with cancer. Retired from the Army with 21.5 years as an E-7.

    Luck to all vets, Mike White

    • Mike Radomicki says:

      Hi Mike, my name is Mike Radomicki, I to was bar manager at the Vung TAu R&R Center. Worked there from Sept. 66 – SEpt 67. Maj. Ross was OIC when I left and Sgt Greenstreet was first sgt also sgt Ed Fergeson was second in command. Do you remember anyone that worked with you there? Very nice to here from someone who was in the same position as me. Thanks for posting your comments hope to read more.

      Mike R.

      • Brian Hjort says:


        I try to help an Vietnam in look for hes amerasian child,the mother used to work in the hotel besides the R&R center in Vung Tau.Do you remember the name of the hotel ? The mothers uncle used to own the hotel,mabye it rings an bell

    • Tommy Mills says:

      Hi Mike, My name is Tommy Mills, & I’m from Ringwood N.J,..U,S,A,,,,I’m wondering if maybe you might be able to help me, as I help my dear friend, Linh Ho, who was born in Vietnam in 1969, but went out with the baby lift in “75”…She’s looking for her Aussie father, of whom she knows nothing!…Her mom was a housekeeper there around March-April of 1969!..Her name was MUOI PHUNG!…Is there any chance that u might have heard of her?..Would so appreciate ur reply!…Thank U so much,sorry I had no better info,…Best, Tommy

  13. Mike White says:

    I was stationed in Vung Tau in 1968 & 1969 as Bar Manager of the US Forces R&R Center. I have spent many hour on the net trying to find pictures of the R&R Center without any luck. I didn’t take any pictures when I was there-too young to know it was important. I was the guy in the blue shirt usually sitting in the shoeshine chair at the end of the bar talking to ‘Bingo’ the shoeshine boy.

    I spent three tours in RVN ’67, ’68, ’69 & ’70. It is the most beautiful country I have ever seen! I see the ‘Grand Hotel’ is still operating. Thats amazing since the French officers used it for their headquarters so many years ago.

    • Ray & My Owens says:

      Are you Lt. White working in the Pacific Hotel? If so Miss My Tran was your book keeper. I married her and we have been together for 43 years in Mar. She talks often about you and wonder if you got out alive. Please answer back, if you was this person.

    • sp5 white says:

      WTF, I was there in 1967. Just 30 minutes from there GI’s were loosing their lives. What was the point of this insanity? So people can go there today and enjoy the sun and surf? People who probably don’t even know we fought and died there for why???? Makes me sick. we have the same name but had different experiences in country. You had a cushy job I was 1st Cav. and drafted. Your experience was not the real Vietnam

  14. Rodger Eyles says:

    G’day all you septics
    I served with the Australians at Vung Tau during 66/67.
    I was a Medical Assistant with 2 Field Ambulance and we had a fair bit to do with your 33 Evac.
    Spent many hours on your beach and drinking at the Beachcomber Club. Remember the Life Guards well. There was one we called “Safari” because of the hat he wore.
    Went back in 1998 and was amazed to see the old club still there. It is now a clip joint or so I was told.
    Came across this site searching for a photo of a Lambretta tricycle that I need for our 44rd Reunion next year.

    • Andrew S says:

      G’day Blue!
      I visited Vung Tau in ’99 (yes, missed it all) with a diving crew to recover a crane boom that crashed overboard. We came into town and stayed at a hotel, Im guessing between 10-20 yrs old with a nice pool and if I recall properly, a separate bar/restaurant that had memorabilia of the Aussie troops and was perhaps their R&R spot/HQ.
      I think round that time SUmmer WIne Bar opened nearby / later with one of the ladies from the hotel.
      Does anyone know the name of the hotel? I later moved to the Rex, so its not that one!.

  15. Bob Rose says:

    I was stationed in Vung Tau in 68-69 with the 8th Aerial Port, Detachment 1. If you flew in for R&R I probably met you at the terminal. I was a regular at the R&R center. We used to head down to the beach and use the Australian surf boards not far from the beached ship. It was finally removed for salvage in the late 80’s. I was surfing one day (would you believe it?) with some buddies when my board got loose and hit me square in the nose. I almost bled to death on the beach! If it were not for the Aussies who drove me over to thier medical facility, I might not have made it. A young Aussie Doctor gave me 18 stitches on my nose to put me back together. I am and forever will be indebted to them. So if any Aussies are reading this……….I will never forget….their great beer drinking cheer….”up the old rooster and more piss”!. Here’s to you and Gordon Woods surf boards. Vung Tau was a magnificent place to serve out the war and I was one hell of a lucky guy………………

    Sgt Robert Rose
    8th Aerial Port, Detachment One
    June 1968 – July 1969

  16. Jim Shelton says:

    We landed at Vang Tau by way of landing craft with the second half of the 1st Infantry Division. Off the ship down a net , just like in the movies, into landing craft, motored to shore, front gate fell down, and who greeted us, the Army Band. Then hauled by truck to planes and flown to Thu Duc. Waited there until our stuff was off load from ship, USS Barrett I think. From Thu Duc was trucked to DiAn. Don’t think Vang Tau was an R&R center yet, this was maybe Sep 1965?

    Might be a little off on the moves, Ben Hoa might been in there somewhere.

    Left via Ton Son Nhut.

    • DWIGHT HICKMAN says:

      I was stationed in Vung Tau from Aug, 1967 thru Aug, 1968. It was already an R & R Center when I arrived. I spent almost every night at the R & R Center that year. Got tired of the C rations we were eating and the food at then Au Favori Resturant. Ate a hotdog almost everyday for a year. Hope that never happens again. I became ill in October, 1967 and was hospitalized in the hospital on the airfield. I had a fever of 105, chills and a blue spots all over my body. There was an army nurse that stayed with me trying to get my fever down. It took her all night, but the fever finally broke with the help of alcohol and ice compounds. I believe I owe my life to her.I
      never got her name, never saw her again. I wish I could have thanked her.
      To my fellow service men that served in Vietnam I say THANK YOU FOR

    • Dan Nolan says:

      I was in the Air Force stationed in Vung Tau the last half of 1965. I was part of the Forward Air Control team. I recall watching the “Big Red One” come ashore. It was quite a site. I was later moved to Ham Tan.
      The Air Force lived in a downtown hotel. If anyone has a photo of the hotel, could you please send it to me. Thanks in advance.

  17. Paul T. Shirley says:

    I was stationed with the Cobra NETT team from Apr. 1969 to Sept. 1970. I was trying to find out about Mom and Pop Warren’s Vung Tau Christian home on the web when I ran across this article. I met Mom & Pop Warren when at Vung Tau and even volunteered to help a little with the building of the home. I do remember the bars, beaches,and girls from there, but my meeting with the Warrens is one of the fondest memories. We would also fly out to the Corpus for parts for our helicopters. We had a Bell Tech-rep who rented an old French villa in the hills on the outskirts of town. We had some great company parties there. What was really nice about being stationed there was the fact that many of our friends from basic and AIT would come through there on an R&R and we could enjoy the town together. I hope to someday return. I’ve talked to some of my friends who’ve made the trip recently and they loved it. The people treat Americans great there(and even better if they find that you or a relative had served in Vietnam). My congratulations to the author who asked for the comments which brought back such fond memories in an otherwise tragic war.

    • David Cooper says:

      Paul your email is a little old, but the Warrens just contacted me, they alive and doing well at 90+ years old.

  18. Ike says:

    I was stationed with the Army in Vung Tau with the PX (PACEX) for 1yr & 4 months beginning Feb. 1969.

    I came back to the U.S. in June of ’70’ got out of the Army and returned to Vung Tau 30 days later and stayed in Nam as a civilian for four and a half more years with aircraft (helicopters) contractors.


  19. Mike White says:

    Thanks to the two people who sent me pictures of the R&R Center in Vung Tau. I would still love to have some of the inside of the facility and of my former employees (I was the Bar Manager in 67 & 68). Can’t believe it’s been over 40 years!!!!!

  20. Mike White says:

    Please send pictures of R&R Center to: Thanks so much. Mike

  21. mike hoying says:

    army 2nd Maintenance group…spent 3/68 to 3/69 in Vung Tau. also spent most of my money in town..good times and memories…

    • jj nixon says:

      mike i was with head & main 2nd mt bn vung tau from spring 69 till we went up north to phu bai-can you remember where the co area was on the map-be great to hear from ya

    • Tom Jambrosic says:


  22. Mike Matinez says:

    I was with the 199th Light Infantry Brigide in Long Binh. On day we were at the Main Base and we were asked if we wanted to go to Vung Tau for the day. We were taken by duece and a half. On entering the beach area there were a bunch of girls waiting for us. We just selected one and want out with her to the beach. There some small huts along the beach where you could take your girl in to take care of business. She stayed with you all day. Fun day in Vung Tau.

  23. Bob Potvin says:

    12 months and 1 days in Vung Tau at the Airfield Dispensary as an x-ray tech. Quite the place! I maneuvered the peninsular s ma trader.Went back in 1998. Couldn’t recognize much. It is now a rich place with new hotels.

    • Norman Olsen says:

      Hi ,I am an Australian ex soldier
      I was in vietnam in April 1971 I Was Picked up at the Zebra club can you tell me if the Zebra club was inside the American PX or was it a separate
      building ?
      I would appreciate an email in reply
      Thanks Mate
      Regards Norm Olsen

      • Norman Olsen says:

        Hi Bob
        I think I should explain ,i wa picked up by the transport driver ,I had just arrived in Vietnam from Australia

      • Pete Raymant says:

        The Zebra club was not in or near the PX it was on the other side of the road, I was a RAAFie there on the base 70-71. We lived out where the main gate used to be on the road that came in from five ways. Our hangers and admin blgs etc were on the actual airfield.
        Peyte Raymant

      • Pete Raymant says:

        Norm, I was there with my son and a mate from Brisbane, one month ago. We left on the 13th to get the ferry down to Saigon. You would not know the place, where the Badcoe club and Harold Holt pool was, there is now a new hotel called the Imperial. The town of Vung Tau you just would not know, it’s like the Gold Coast, we had been up at Hue before that for a few days.
        Peter Raymant

  24. marc cremin says:

    I was stationed in Dong ba Thin near Nha Trang with the 92nd
    Assault Helicopter 68/69. Myself and another guy got orders
    to attend a 10 day electronics school in Vung Tau. When we got there
    the instructor said that there was a mix up and some of us would only
    be attending a 1 day “overview.”Unfortunately my buddy and I were
    in the 1 day class and scheduled to leave the next morning. Bummer,
    just 1 night in sin city.
    Then we remembered that we had orders for 10 days.If you have orders
    in the Army that’s all you need. After our 1 day class we would get up
    every morning with the 10 day class guys,eat breakfast and immediately
    head to the beach R&R center. Days at the beach, nights in town. Turned out to be a great vacation and we were the envy of the 10 day
    guys who actually had to attend class.Only in the Army!

  25. Mike sarrels says:

    I was with the 13th QM U.S.Army in Jan 70 to Dec 70. Stationed in Vung Tau. I am looking for any one that was the in the unit at the time. Welcome home brothers.

    • Rodger Roby says:

      Hi Mike I was with the 13th QM platoon when we first came in country from Fort Lenardwood MO.
      Sept 1968 we came as a unit and releived the 528 QM Company who went to Phu Bia I left country sept 1969 just a few months before you got there. I have lost all my pictures of vietnam. Welcome home Brother

      • Peter Eaton says:

        Hello Roger,

        I am replying a later post, where you referred to the Dak which ran off the strip on take-off. I was with the Aust Caribous, and watched the crash from the time the engine ran away.

        I have some photos of what was left of the Dak, if there is some way of e-mailing them to you.

        There was a Negro who used to drive the fuel tanker, and he kept his pencil stuck in his ‘Afro’. I thought that was great.

        I went back last year, and the town has changed, but in other ways, still the same.

        Regards, Peter

      • Rodger Roby says:

        Hey Peter,

        Thanks for the reply. I would love to see your pictures I some how have managed to lose all of my vietnam pictures. Were you with the aussie air force?
        I was a refueler with the US Army we ran the 5000 gal.tankers that refuel the C-130s Peter you referred to the Black man who had the pencil in his hair was he running JP4 or avgas for the Caribous.

      • Peter Eaton says:

        Hello Roger,

        I served with the Australian Air Force on the Caribous.

        The tanker driver used to re-fuel the Bou’s with avgas.

        Reply by e-mail, and I will send some photos.



      • Rodger Roby says:

        Good Morning Peter,

        I Hope this reaches you by E Mail I am new to this site and not sure how it all works.

  26. E. Hamell says:

    I was stationed in Vung Tau with the 535th Tactical AIrlift Squadron from December of 1969 through July of 1970 at which time the 535th was moved to Cam Rahn Bay. We were stationed at the end of the peninsula on Hwy 1. We shared our ramp area with an Aussie squadron…..Both units (ours and the Aussies) fleew Canadian airplanes. The C-7A Caribou a great old STOL aircraft that was one of the unsung heros of the war……….

    • Dennis Fields says:

      Hi E. Hamell
      My name is Dennis Fields and I was stationed with 535th TAS at Vung Tau from May 1968 till May 1969. I was with P.O.L. You may have known some of the guys that was there when I left: Castillio, Thorpe, Sorenson. My memory fails me for more name though. I originally had orders for Cam Rahn Bay but when I got there they gave me new orders for Vung Tau. It took me 2 days to get down there and about 2 more days to decide that had been a good trade off. My biggest regret is not taking more pictures while I was there. I was reading on the net how big a city that Vung Tau has grown into now, it was a small town when I was there. I was discharged at Travis the day after I got back.

      • Rodger Roby says:

        Hey Dennis Fields
        My name is Rodger Roby and I was statiioned at Vung Tau from Sept 68 to Sept 69. I worked P.O.L. for thre Army work out of hooch with some Air Force guys that ran fuel to the C-7A Caribou. I ran JP4 for C 130s and ran the chopper refuel station. I rememberand Air Force Staff Sgt Depp he was in charge of the refuel. I believe their was a Staff Sgt. Williams also. We had A Sgt Swift who was our NCO the only time he came to the air fiel was to get away from company area. Do you remember when their was and old C47 Air Vietnam Plane came off the run way and hit a new building that was just by Black Horse for the Air Force refuelers I would like to hear back if we are talking about the same group of P.O.L. guys.
        Thank Rodger

  27. E. Hamell says:

    Also served TDY at Can Tho with Air America and Air Vietnam…Later after spending time in and out of Laos and Thailand returned to CamRahn Bay for DEROS…..

  28. glenn endress says:

    Just wanted to say hello to Al Feser…23MP ’68….Glenn Endress

  29. Todd Scheuerman says:

    Hello, my name is Todd Scheuerman, i was with the 147th Assault Support Helicopter Company , 1st Av Brigade , 222nd Avn Bn, if you
    were with them from March 68 to March 69, I was in Flight Operations, if you remember the tall skinny guy, that was me. Anyone that remembers me, give me a holler or send me an e-mail, or you can call me area 951-329-7023 cell, or h ome 951-797-9098 if you would just like to say hello
    and talk a little, no problem. People that i remember Arie Niederman, hey good buddy, Timothy Young, (the Crop Duster)you remember , don’t you Tim, oh, and McCloud, i remember you too my friend, pilots and flt commanders, i remember all you guys. Nice times, no ill feelings whatsoever.
    C Ya

    • gary jackson says:

      i was in the147th 2-69 2-70 gary jackson 903-824-2923 worked demand maintenance with sp/5 holland and griese.

      • Guy Creveling says:

        Hi Gary,
        I can’t say I remember you but I was there from May 68 to May 69. I was on a PE crew, and second half of tour I ran the crew. You guys were just getting off work each morning when we were starting. The only guy I remember from Demand Maintenance was Schaffer. Others from PE crews were Sgt Williams, John Maki, John Hiller, Bob Tuttle. and maintenance officer CW3 Algermissen. I took over the crew after SP5 Prince went home.
        I was surprised to see someone else from the “Hillclimbers” after 42 years.
        Love to chat one day. phone number is 904-642-3610


    • Todd Scheuerman says:

      Update to ALL you Hillclimbers, Todd here give you update, I am retired from USPS now and living in Moalboal, Cebu Philipines, quiet peaceful here, I think about all my 147th bd d. Buddies a lot. Tim Young, Mccloud , Rupert Tumlin, Huskisson, my best pingpong friend Arie Niederman, god bless all of you. My emmail is anyone welcome to drop me a note. Date Feb 16, 2013. Todd Scheuerman

  30. Rodger Roby says:

    Peter Eaton
    E mail

    • Dennis Fields says:

      Hey Rodger,

      I think that we are on the same page with Staff Sgt. Depp & Williams. There was a Staff Sgt. Williams there when I left, he was kind of a heavy set guy and from ILL. I think. I was stationed with a Staff Sgt. Depp but I can’t recall if it was in N.C. or nam. It must have been in nam. He was a slender built black guy. Yes I remember when that C47 came into the building, I have several pictures of it, I would send them to you but it sounds like Peter has you covered on that. Rodger your name sounds very familiar I may have met you over there, are you from Ohio? There was a Mexican-American guy in your company who worked POL I think his name was Gomez, does that ring a bell?


      • Rodger Roby says:

        Hey Dennis
        Nice to hear from you yes sgt Depp was as you said a slender built black man very nice guy. Sgt Williams was a heavy guy sounds like we were there at the same time. I got in country Sept 1968 left Sept 1969 we ran JP4 for the C130s and ran the heliport.
        Yes I am from OHIO. I have been trying to put a face with your name but its only been just 40 years. The name that were in your other post sound familiar as for Gomezi’m not sure. I have been racking my brain for faces and names since I got on this site.
        I was discharge at Travis when I got back in Sept. Keep in touch you have my E Mail.

  31. David Serbe says:

    David Serbe (USAF Ret.) here. I was stationed with 483rd CAMS at Vung Tau from Nov 69 to summer 1970, when they moved the C-7 Caribous and us support troops to Cam Ranh Bay. I worked in the Aerospace Ground Equipment (AGE) shop; drove AGE around the flightline with a Jeep when our tow tractors were down. We had 2 shop dogs, and I used to drive around the flightline with the dogs on the tractor fenders. Remember going to town almost every night for a year, watching Australian beer-drinking contests at their club, and pulling night guard duty at the Grand Hotel – where our Caribou pilots lived. We worked hard AND we played hard!

  32. Mai Nguyen says:

    I am a Vietnamese lady looking for a gentleman I met in the Whitestar hotel in Vung Tau in 1968-69. I believe his name was Eric. He wore a light blue uniform with short sleeves. We lived together for 8 months and he used to take me to watch American films near the airfield. He drove a motorcycle. He was injured in his left leg after a rocket attack and went home. I came to see him one time after the injury but I did not speak any English at the time and lost touch with him. His friend that lived and worked with him was a fat man named Frank or French and her girlfriend was named Tam. They were the ones who introduced us. If anyone has any idea of who I am looking for, please contact me. Many thanks.

  33. Bob Andrew says:

    Hi Rodger I was stationed with you in FT L. Wood andalso in Vung Tau. We went to Memphis with Larry Stone on weekends.

    • bob andrew says:

      hey bob, glad to hear from you, check post #30 and you will find my email address. send me a message so we can connect, cant reply on here. ttys rodger

    • Rodger Roby says:

      Hey Bob,
      Great to hear from you. I have been having trouble with my computer trying to post on this site not sure what the problem is. I do remember our trips to Memphis with Larry Stone what a nice guy and family. I would love to continue E Mail if you would like. I have a ton of question about our old unit. do you remember all the unit numbers 2nd Maintenance Battalion 1st logistical command. Have you had any contact with anyone else?. Looking forward to talking with you. Rodger

    • Rodger Roby says:

      Hey Bob Andrews where are you? I have picture of you in the arms room with Chuck McCue he was with the 528th I do remember our trip to Larry Stones house. I am now retired and 64 years old would love to hear from you I hope this post find you well.

  34. Ellis C. (Matt) Mattingly says:

    I was assigned to the 765th Infantry Security Platoon located on the airfield from February 1966 to May 1968, and from the comments written about Vung Tau being such a hot spot R & R Center must have occurred after I left. At the time, Vietnam had tree R & R Centers and Vung Tau was one of them dutring the time I was there. But if you enjoyed you brief stay on the beaches and the night spots, thank the “grunts” of the platoon, units of the 1st Inf. Div., units of the 9th Inf. Div., units of the 199th Inf. Brigade, the Marines, units of the 25th Inf. Div., Special Forces, Advisory Teams, and units of the Austalian/New Zealand forces that fought the VC in the Rung Sat Special Zone and the Delta to make Vung Tau a specail place after 1968.

    • Art Simmons says:

      Great comment Ellis. I was there from Dec 1965 to Jan 1967 in the 765th.
      Didn’t spend much time in the bars due to protecting the air field 24/7.

  35. Dave Horton says:

    I was stationed with the 805th Trans Co (Lt Trk) from Sep 66 – Sep 67, then at the Supply Depot (Tool Room/Warehouse) Sep 67 – Sep 68. Lots of great memories in Vung Tau. Made some civilian friends who worked with me and I always wonder what happpened to them, are they still there or evacuated.

    • chuck lewis says:

      jj i was with HMSC 2ND MAINT BN, between 8/68 and 9/69 when they went to phu bai then i stayed with them until 11/70 when i went home. VUNG TAU was a trip i pulled guard at the grand hotel and all over the downtown area. My hooch was right infront of the arms room. When i wasn’t on guard i worked in the arms shop, and went on a lot of convoys to long binh.I blew most of my money in town or at the beach. mike what was your MOS?

  36. Gil Dominguez says:

    I spent an in-country R&R at Vung Tau in 1969.

  37. Dannie Moses SFC (RET) says:

    I was with the 765th Security from June 69 Until nov November 69,after spending a year with 3/12 inf 4th Div (Recon Team). I really enjoyed it . Anyone out there remember me feel free to e-mail me .

    • Steve Bowman says:

      Dannie, Good to see a few 765th Security Platoon members popping up here and there on the internet. I was with the 765th Security Platoon from Oct 66 to Oct 67. I created a web site that needs some work: I’ve loaded up a few photos and hoping other 765th SP grunts will find the site from a search engine and send me photos and info that I can add to the Site. I and several other 765th SP members have searched for info about the Unit – there is none. In the VN War History archives – we did not exist.

  38. Dannie Moses says:

    Steve, Dannie Moses ; Yea, not too many people knew about us, we kinda did our own thingand stayed low. On one of my Shifts we had A Caribou went down after take off and it scattered the Vietnamese on board all over the swamp and we had to go out in the5 Foot deep nasty water and recover the bodies and weapons. We found all of them of course all of them were dead; Other than that I had a Darn good time. We still wore the 1st Log Patch. I was there from June69 to Dec 69.They sent me to 1st Ranger Bat A Co
    in Ft.Hood Tx, I re-up to go back to Nam , and was wounded on that my 3rd tour,with 1/6th Inf 198th LIB Americal Div. I Retired on 1 June 1990. I don’t have any pictures of Vung Tau, sorrry.

    • Steve Bowman says:

      Hillo again Dannie, We (765th SP member) are looking for information about the 765th and when it was disbanded. We were think about 1970. Did you hear any chat about the Army pulling out of Vung Tau and allowing the Air Force to take over the Air Field operations? You can reach me at Thanks, Steve

    • Bill Cockerham says:

      Dannie, I was with the 765th from Dec. 68 to Mar 1970. I came over from the 25th Div. I was a driver for a while when Sterling Bailey was 1st Sgt. We had a turnover of so many and only a few stayed for any length of time that I can’t remember all of them. Plus it’s been 40 years. I do remember the plane that crashed, I was unloading guards at the time. and 1st Sgt. Bailey and another guy got a soldiers medal out of it. Nether got their feet wet., Ha. . Haven’t had much contact with anyone except a guy named Macdonald that was with the 765th. . Hope everything been good since nam. Welcome Home

      • Dannie Moses says:

        Bill, This is Dannie Moses, I know all of us came from an Infantry unitand I can remember faces but not names. Still it’s good to here from you, I was on guard when the plane crashed. Welcome home also,Brother. I went to Tenn. in April to my first Reunion with 9 other men from Recon 3/12th inf 4th Inf Div. only to find out that 2 of my friends from Recon had been killed in an ambush 2 weeks after I left there to come to the 765th. We’re going to the Wall in DC in May of this coming year. Take care Brother and God Bless You and your family. We’re not getting any younger, I just turned 62 Last month. SFC (RET) Dannie Moses

      • Ellis C. (Matt) Mattingly says:

        To Bill Cockerham
        I was with the 765th Security Platoon from 2-66 to 5-68 and there are four of us trying to put together a unit history and would like your input. Please contact me at

      • Russell Ballard says:

        That put the balls on everything I have in the Army. That is about Bailey getting a medal for that. I was the one that was putting up the flares for that _ _ _… Anyway, I did well when I returned to Ft. Riley in January 1970. I was with the 765th from July 69 to Jan 70. Oh, by the way, I was SGT Ballard, the country yokel that played the country music too loud and drank anything going through the hooch.

  39. Charles Johnson says:

    After being discharged from the USN in 1967, I worked in the control tower at Vung Tau on a DOD contract from Dec 1967 through July 1968. I remember the beautiful beaches, bars, and ladies, as well as all the aircraft that flew into Vung Tau during the Tet offensive of 1968. I lived in an old french villa we rented in town with several other guys from work, and spent many hours at the Grand Hotel bar during my time off. I would love to hear from anyone who worked or was stationed here during this time period.

  40. David C. Bowers says:

    1971 to 9173 in Vung Tau-1st as a Area Command Supply Officer,
    retrograding vehicles in early standdown, moved from air base to HHC
    HQ in an old french hotel, by restaurant that RVN’s President’s lady
    friend frequented. Became HHC CO-helped to fix transmitter on top
    of mountain, volunteered at Catholic Orphanage-4 nuns and over 250
    children; also was Finance Officer for station where soldiers could
    exchange their dollars for RVN ‘Ps’-later taught English to some children of town MDs-their hope was to go to college in USA.. Returned to Vung Tau to supervise the Vung Tau Christian Children’s Home of Mom and Pop Warren in 1973 as they went on a trip back to west coast USA. Got a used long mobile trailer from Alaska Barge that was converted into a nursery at the home of the Phats’ where the orphans lived. Home was also associated with Assemblies of God when I was there and Holt Adoption Agency. Mom and Pop are/were really great people, more like angels!. Also worked with an RN from Oregon-Ms.Jo Hewitt in caring for the children-some only a few days old. This after US Army time served in RVN-19 months, then at the home was the best thing I have ever done with my own ‘dime’ and time. Retired now after 32 years in healthcare/hospital administration in NYC….could add a lot more, but…….Thank you, God! Recovering from my second open heart surgery-bypass, then aorta valve replacement. God Bless!

    • Joel Costantino says:

      Greetings – hope this finds you doing well. To verify identity do you remember the name of our commanding officer?

      • David C. Bowers says:

        Crazy Joel- I do remember you! Col. Nichols was HQ CO, LTC Clarke
        was Exec Off, Major McGown was Adj-those are the names I remember
        along with the very lovely Ms. Tuyet. It is now 6 months plus, going on
        age 66 and am doing OK. Hope you see this reply! I have some old files
        that I am starting to go through as my 33 year old son wants to know more-
        just can’t tell him everything! Seems to me you were there toward the end
        of my active Army hitch-left ‘Nam in Sept 1972. Do I remember that you
        went to college in Fla? Blessings and good health……David

      • Joel Costantino says:

        Great! Apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I still have quite a bit of RVN stuff such as my driver’s license, installation ID, copies of orders et cetera. Sounds as if your post-military life has been stressful but you are still ticking so that’s good. I still live in Florida and have a small bookstore (used books only). I still have one picture of you pulling some concertina but your back is to the camera. I could probably scan it and email it to you at your request. Meanwhile I will try to give you a call.

  41. Richard Jones says:

    I was stationed in Vung Tau 67 – 68 at HHC, 2nd Maintenance Battalion. Reading the above stories like the beached ship. Almost forgot about that. And the trips to the beach, that brought back memories like seeing an Aussi covered with sand – passed out. We had a club at our battalion called the Red Dog Saloon and had nickle beer nights I believe on Fridays and if the seam on the beer can lined up with the pop top hole, it was free. Pocket of change went a long way back then. Thanks to all for sharing your stories as it was nice to reflect back on those times and if there is anyone out there that was there during my stay there, please reply. Thanks & God Bless

    • chuck lewis says:

      RICHARD is hhc the same unit as hmsc 2nd maint or were they two different units. I was with hmsc 2nd from 8/68 to approx9/69 when they moved to PHUBAI. But the RED DOG sure sounds like i have been there, We had a club right in the middle of our company area , But i don’t remember a name to it. What was your MOS i worked in the arms room and shop when i wasn’t on guard duty.

      • Richard Jones says:

        Chuck, unless we are getting confused with hhc & hmsc I think they may be different units. I worked in the battalion headquarters as a personnel specialist. One of the companies in 2nd maintenance broke in boston walers and I believe there was a shop that rebuilt / repaired vehicles as a support command. It does bother me as some of this stuff is a little fuzzy and more but I guess maybe that can happen over 40 years. A couple names I can recall are Major Wagner, Captain Anderson, Sargent Brost. Just to name a couple.

      • chuck lewis says:

        RICHARD your right i know right where your area was, and i forgot about the BOSTON WHALERS, i mounted a couple of M60/ machine guns on them and got to go on rides with the guys that worked on them , we would go all the way around to the R.R center, my shop was in the big building with the boat shop and ve h,repair shop ,I spent my first 5/6 months on guard duty at the P.O.L. yards and the AMMO DUMP, And all over downtown,Were you there when we had the M.P.C. exchange and we had to turn our money for a new style that was fun the bars downtown were MAD at everyone and wanted thier money exchanged and they were raising hell with everybody. I spent NEW YEARS EVE 68/69 at at bar full of AUSSIES and all i remember was them singing WALTZING MITILDA all night. In SEP. we moved to PHU BAI. Thanks for the memories..

      • Richard Jones says:

        I used to watch those boston walers running along the beach. Those things looked fast and thought it looked like fun. I was there a little earlier than you. I was there 67-68. I left a few weeks after the attack during the tet offensive. Yes I do remember the funny money we used. And yes the Aussies liked their beer and the Waltzing Mitilda song. They would almost wear it out. You said you moved to Phu Bai. Was that just you or what group moved? This is amazing to be able to talk with someone who knows and has seen the same stuff. The beached ship was unforgettable. Thanks for sharing.

  42. Bob Schmetzer says:

    I was on the USS Tutuila ARG 4. Anchored in Vung-Tau harbor.The year that I was there I met many of the locals and enjoyed every minute with them, Playing cards, drinking and just enjoying each others company. There was chinese who ran some bars and massage parlors that I used to frequent. The Aussies were always a fun bunch , thats where I drank gin and told stories of home.Swimming at back beach was always fun. The sand was too hot to walk on at times.

  43. Chuck McCue says:

    I was with the 528th QM Co.(PS) from Feb 68 to Mar 69. I remember going to back beach and even ‘front beach’ a few times, although it was off limits. And “windy point” where that freighter was beached. In April 68 a rocket hit a barracks of the 805th trans co. which was next to us w/1kia and 8 wia-which served as a wake-up call that we were still in a war zone. After I left I heard the VC finally hit the POL yard, someone sent me a photo of one of the storage tanks in flames. I took a lot of pictures and I’ve thought of going back but probably won’t. All in all a lot of good memories.

    • Dave Horton says:

      I went to Vietnam with the 805th in Sep 66 and in 67, I went to the depot there in Vung Tau for a year. I didn’t know about what happened to the 805th. Wish I know who was killed and wounded. A lot of guys left before that April I’m sure and one platoon was in Can Tho.

  44. Rodger Roby says:

    I was with the 528th from Sept 68 to Sept 69 I was there when the 805th got hit with the rocket it was the barracks right behind ours. I did not know anyone from the 805th. I came in with the 13thQM platoon.

    • Chuck McCue says:

      Roger, I worked with a couple of guys from the 13th, SP4 Andrew and Sgt. Palff (or something like that) in supply. The attack I was referring to took place in April 68 and it was the barracks directly across from our orderly room. The one you mention must have taken place after I went home.(Mar 69). Its funny, I don’t remember you but we probably knew each other. Jack Moore was another of my good friends-he worked in the arms room.

      • Rodger says:

        We are talking about the same attack I was on the second floor remember a lot of stuff hitting the roof of our barracks and we were off to the bunker that didn’t take long. Do you remember what the writing was no the CO &XOs jeeps were?

  45. Chuck McCue says:

    All I can recall is what was on the supply officer’s jeep; Mr.Clean

  46. Rodger says:

    Captain Brokowski his jeep was ( Here Come Da Judge) Sammie Davis Jr. Laugh IN. Sgt Pauff was a very round fellow was my platoon Sgt for a while. Andrews may have been Bob Andrews very nice guy Sp4 . I worked at the airfield refueled C130 & Helicopters do you remember Sgt Kim Korean war vet and POW

  47. Chuck McCue says:

    Rodger, Wow I remember all those guys………Sgt. Kim was on the promotion board when I made Sgt.,but I didn’t know about the POW thing. Did you ever get to the Aussie camp in “Nuey Dat” (I know thats spelled wrong) When I was short they let me ride shotgun in a 2 tanker convoy there. It was an infantry outfit but they had a pretty cool PX.

  48. Rodger says:

    Do you remember what the first shirts name was? Who was the Sgt in charge of the arms room drank a lot. Their was a guy red hair very nice guy handle bar mustache no name. Did you know a guy named Michael Gossnel he work at the POL Yard. How about Sgt Harris black man smoked a pipe the bowl of the pipe was a skull?
    Yes I did spend sometime with Aussies I ran Convoy with them David Sayles and were ask to leave their compound by some bloody aussie captain he said this place is closed and you yanks can leave. The guys were not very happy Rudy Bose was the only name I can he was my shot gun remember.

  49. Chuck McCue says:

    We had a Sgt. Mason for awhile who had a bit of a drinking problem. He attacked a house maid once and shortly there after he transferred out. Nice guy when he wasn’t drinking.After that is when Pauff was brought in. The red haired guy was the company clerk after Macandless went home. He and I got shot at while swimming off Windy point. Never saw who did it always figured it was the Arvins.
    Harris and Sayles both sound familiar but its been along time.

  50. Rodger says:

    Chuck if you check post number 30 above you will find my EMail . I was talking to Peter Eaton he is and Aussies from the airfield .

  51. Chuck McCue says:

    Some photo’s I found on another web site:

  52. Art Simmons says:

    To Bill Cockerham,

    Bill, we of the 765th are looking for guys that were in the unit the same time Elroy Wilson was and it appears you were. According to the information on the Wall he was killed on April 12, 1969 in a fixed wing crash in Phuoc Tuy Province. There has been extensive searching done and no confirmation of a fixed wing plane crash was recorded on that day. If you or someone else that reads this has any information , Please respond and let him and his family rest in peace.
    Art Simmons
    765th Dec 65 — Jan 67

  53. Tom Hansen says:

    Just found this site in the past couple days. I was in the Vung Tau area from Nov 66-mid Oct 67. Went to Nam with the 94th S&S Battalion. I was part of the(bread) bakery platoon. The Bakery was very close to the Class One supply warehouses, laundry area, and ice plant. The barracks area I stayed in was very near the motor pool. Later, the 94th was transfered up country, but can’t remember just where at the moment, but the bakery platoon stayed and was reassigned to another unit.I don’t recall the unit at this time either. When I read the other posts I felt a kinship to each person who had posted, especially when I read the dates that are near to the same time when I was there. I will always remember my time in Vung Tau with very mixed feelings. It was hard to imagine most times that I was in the midst of a war zone. I’m glad I have found this site and hope that maybe someone will reply to my post. I have a lot of pictures of the area and would be happy to find a place where I can share them.

    • alan k abraham says:

      Tom: I just noticed your message on the History site.

      In my case I was part of the 765th Security Platoon at VT from July 65 to Sep 66. Our small unit of about 55 soldiers pulled all the airfield perimeter guard in 6 hour shifts. Our hootches were close to the EM Club and right out our back door was what was known as the officers swimming pool. We came very close to having a reunion this year in Custer SD on June 1. However, we needed to cancel because while our numbers were never very large when we got closer we got down to four. At that point I decided it just was not feasible. We made contact in some fashion or another with about 70 individuals who were VT alumni and not all in the Security Platoon.

      I would be interested in hearing back from you or any other VT alumni that might trip across this message.

      Thx and I look forward to hearing from you or others.


      Alan K Abraham
      608 274-3516

      • Tom Hansen says:

        Thank you Alan, For the Reply! You are only the second person I have been in contact with since my Viet Nam experience in Vung Tau . The other person was actually someone I was with during my tour. It has been over 14 years since I have had any contact with him and I am guessing that he may no be living. There are so many things that I remember of the Area and pictures help a lot in keeping those memories fresh. I have to get going on getting my pictures on a disc or memory chip. For the most part I was relativly safe in the Vung Tau area and never was real fearful of danger. I believe there were only a couple times when there was any live action that I recall. One morning there was a lot of “booming” and the floors moved a bit, but I slept thu most of it while others in our barracks watched all the flares and flashes from outside. The other incident was some mortars being fire off from some boat that were directed to the big mountainwith the radar discs. I remember being at the EM club many times but can’t recall it exact location. In one of the other posts there was a mention of the “Red Dog Saloon” I’m sure I had a beer or two there also. Lots of good memories of downtown and the beach areas, windy beach and back beach especially. When I consider our ages, it strikes me that there probably not a lot of us around, and I only regret not finding this site sooner. I have started a book about my home town area and what that meant to me. This site and a few other things I find about Vung Tau has stirred up a lot of ideas for another book.I will be relying on these picture to help tell my story. We were in a very interesting situation being station in the Vung Tau area. I have always been thankful for being out of harms way, yet there were so many other guys who were in the thick of the war and some paid the ultimate price. This is some thing I have not done research on, do you know any thing about agent orange being used in the area before, or during the years that we were there,65-68? Alan, I thank you again for your reply and am hoping others will reply too. Tom Hansen

  54. alan k abraham says:

    Tom: Thanks for your thoughtful and interesting reply. Yes , my year was much equivalent to yours with one mortar attack on March 12 1966 which did not amount to much. I like you was grateful for my assignment in view of having orders in spring 65 to deploy with the 1st Cav and we all know what they got into in the Ia Drang Valley. Am going to give you my email site rather than go thru this site. Seems cumbersome to me., 2645 Cochise Trail, Madison, WI 53711.
    Might a reunion in 2013 of Vung Tau alumni be of interest to you ? I look forward to hearing from you again.
    Alan K Abraham

  55. Art Simmons says:

    I was in Vung Tau from Dec 65 and left in Jan 67 all in the 765th Security Platoon. If you search the web you will find that they sprayed over 350,000 gallons of agent Orange, Blue, Green and a few other chemicals on and around Vung Tau. If you recall or look at some of your pictures of outside the wire of the airfield you won’t see much Vegetation

  56. Tom Hansen says:

    Art Simmons, thanks for your response. I found out later that agent orange had been used in the location of the “compound” area where our barracks were located, a few years later. I was more interested when it was used. My pictures really told the “story”, once I found out about the use of agent orange. It became very clear to me why there was no folliage in the area. I’m posting my email address in hope that you and others will contact me there.

    I will return to this site often in hopes that maybe someone who was with the bakery platoon between the years ’66-’67 will find this site and respond.

  57. Brian Hjort says:

    Amerasian from Vung Tau,looking for hes American father


    I am trying to assist an Amerasian man, hes born in vung Tau, hes mothers name are : Giang Thi Phan, she met hes father who worked in Vung Tau Airbase in 1967.

    The mother passed away in 1969 and the son was born in 05/1968.Hes father came back to claim him, but the mothers family says no and he left.

    The son had no info on the father but an old photo of the mother.The mother had an friend named Luong Kim Vi she used to know the mother and the father.

    If anyone can help us in tracing the father,then please email me: I can send the photo of the mother


  58. chuck lewis says:

    I’am sorry but this page seams to stop at 57 comments,And i can’t find the last 47. I don’t see a 2nd page, I must be doing something wrong but i do not know what it is , HELP.

    • Art Simmons says:

      Chuck Lewis,

      There is only the one page and you scroll up and down it to get the previous responses. When, where and what unit were you attached to in Vung Tau.

  59. chuck lewis says:

    Thank you, I was in vung tau bt. 8/68- 9/69, H.M.S.C. 2ND. MAINT. BN. Ido not remember if there was a name to the area where i was living at but it was right inside the rear gate. I moved to phu bai in 9/69 until 11/70. It was a little different up there.

    • Dan Riley says:

      It was called “46” the place you are speaking was simply “46 backgate” May ’67-May’68

  60. Art Simmons says:

    What does the H.M.S.C. stand for? And what unit were you with in Phu Bai?

  61. chuck lewis says:

    H.M.S.C./Headquarters Main Support CO. 2maint.BN. Same unit in PHU BAI, In Sept. of 69 the whole unit moved north to PHU BAI, I do not know the reason but we ended up working with the 101st. and a bunch of arty, units all over the I corps. And a lot of trips to DA NANG on hwy.1 over the HI VAN pass.

  62. Art Simmons says:

    I did some leg work and found a web site put in 2nd maint phu bai on your browser then go down to the 7th line to then to page 6. You will see a guy looking for those who served with your unit. It gives an address or you can reply to a e mail address.The guys name is John R. Wixom Let me know it that works for you.

  63. Robert Dushaw says:

    I was in Vung Tau in 1968

    • alan k abraham says:

      Robert: What unit were you with ? I was there July 65 to Sep 66 with the 765th Security Platoon , the only Infantry troops on the post. Four of us have linked up in the past year and have developed a considerable due mainly to the efforts of one of our four. If you correspond back just use my personal email, We find this site to be cumbersome.

      Alan K Abraham

  64. Bob Ryan says:

    I was assigned as a radio operator to the First Cav. when I first came in country in July 1971. A clerk in my unit saw that I had a college degree and said that there was an opening for an english language teacher at Vung Tau. I spent the next 11 months living on the base and teaching ARVN soldiers at a school in town. The rest of the teachers were guys that had been pulled out of their units from all over Vietnam. I was the greatest group of guys and we all couldn’t believe how fortunate we were. We taught in the morning and went to the beach in the afternoon. The town was like a wild west show every night. I remember having Christmas dinner in 1970 at Cyrnos (sp.) restaurant with about 12-15 other guys.

    • alan k abraham says:

      Bob: Yes, VT was a fortunate place to be. In the spring of 1965 I had orders in hand along with about 7 others to join the CAV at Benning to fill out a battalion and very likely was the Hal Moore BN I have been told. For no reason given orders cancelled at last minute. In late June same year headed for VN and ended up at VT for 14 months in the 765th Security Plt and that Nov was when the CAV was slaughtered at the the Ia Drang. Everyone knew than it was serious and the NVA and the VC could figure out the US helo tactics. Biggest lucky day of my life to not go with CAV and a 11 B MOS.

      I am in Wisconsin retired from the VA system and the Army. My email is and phone is 608-274-3516. Would welcome your call to catch up. Find this site cumbersome so just use my email.

      Regards, Alan

  65. Jim Bloom says:

    There’s a book about the Warrens now available at

  66. Tam Truong says:

    Anyone who know Mike in Vung Tau 1969?

  67. brian hjort says:

    Does anyone remember “The night in Vung Tau” bar ? I had an old photo of it, if anyone remember it and those that used to work there,then please let me know


    • Trevor says:

      I was based in Nui Dat – but had several “R&C”s in Vungers. I don’t remember that particular bar – I used to frequent “Rosies” bar

  68. David Sarrels says:

    I was with the 13th QM Plt in Vung Tau from Jan thru Dec 1970. I am looking for any of the guys that may have been there at that time. If so and you feel up to email me. Thanks and as we all say welcome home brothers.

    • Rodger Roby says:

      Hey David, Rodger RobyI was with the 13th QM Plt. From it start June 1968 Fort Lenardwood MO. We got in country Sept. 1968 I left country Sept 1969 I ran the heliport refuel for a while also did all the C 130 refuels welcome home bother

  69. Trevor says:

    Does anyone remember “Rosies” bar in Vungers??

  70. Trevor says:

    I visited Vung Tau several times between Dec 68 and June 70. The Grand Hotel was a popular watering hole on front beach. I wonder whatever happed to #14. I fell in love with her the first time I laid eyes on her. :)

  71. Peter Eaton says:

    I do remember Rosies Bar, but can not find it in any of my scanned slides from the time.

    The Grand Hotel is still there, looking better than ever.

    The main town itself is much the same, but new development at Back Beach has made it a true resort area.

    The Radar antena’s blew over in a cyclone some years ago, and there is a cable chair lift to the top now. From there you can see how much the town has grown.

  72. John Muchler says:

    I was in Vung Tau in 1967 with D Company 41st Signal Battalion, attached to the 39th Signal Battalion. I worked in the Operation
    Section and we were responsible for radios on ‘VC Hill and teletype operations all over Viet Nam. I wonder if anyone knows what happened to ‘Vung Tau in the years after I left in November 1967? Once I left I was separated from the army and never looked back.
    Did Vung Tau get hit in the Tet battles of 1968?

  73. Chuck McCue says:

    John, not sure about Tet as I got there in early Feb 68 but we did get hit at the airfield and at our compound near the POL depot (not sure where else) in April of that year and several more times while I was there. Did you have many attacks during your tour?

  74. Dave Horton says:

    John, I was at the Vung Tau Depot, Sep 67 thru Sep 68. During Tet, I think the area north of the Airport (one unit there was the 805th Trans Unit) was hit. I don’t remember the area hit after Tet, before I left.

    • John Muchler says:

      Thanks for the info. I have been reading some of my letters about the place that I sent home. I have forgotten a lot of what happened. When I first arrived we were station outside the air base at a compound that belonged to some religious group and next to a ARVN compound. The would fire artillary toward an island out in the bay for practive. Got a little noisy at times. Then the moved us to the base and things were never the same. Sandbags every night and lots of 12 hour days 7 days a week.

  75. John Muchler says:

    During my time there we never had any attacts. I remember they were considering taking away our combat pay because it was so quite in Vung Tau. That sure made folks mad.

  76. Tom Burns says:

    HI Chuck,

    I was with the 528th Jan 69-Jan 70. I am looking fora anybody that was with the 528th QM Co any year. I have started a group on Facebook … We have guys from 67-72 so far including the last CO.

    Please join us! You might find a buddy!

    Thanx, Tom

  77. chuck lewis says:

    Tom i was there from 8/68 to 9/69 how do i find the F/B site?

  78. Dan Collins says:


    Vung Tau … Dustoff …68-69.

    Vung Tau was an \open\ city…

    R&R for VC and NVA as well.

    VC in the open __ leaving Vung Tau with full combat load were \off-limits\ to friendly fire.


  79. jj nixon says:

    Good to hear from you Chuck!-I was 63b2wvmec-i extended a tour from 1/8th arty in 25th div. at vung tau I was permanentnt guard (great duty!) then ran the night shift at class 1 yard.I lived in town. I ran a couple of convoys up to long binh when I first arrived at vt,’cause I new how to fire a 50 call. I went up to phubai on a Korean lst with the bn equipment. later in 1971 I used to convoy down with a wrecker from 4th tc & grab a little personal r&r. lol.

  80. chuck lewis says:

    JJ I was in vt from 8/68 9/69 with the hmsc 2nd. maint bn. 45L20 ARTY.MECH. i did permanent guard fo 6 months at the ammo dump,fuel yds. and officers BOQs downtown. i went to PHU BAI in 9/69 on a LST i thought i was the only AMERICAN on the ship. There must have been a lot more ships going up there i did not know that. i worked in the post office one christmas that was different. how do i find this face book site they are talking about?

  81. Stan Middleton says:

    I was an Australian National Serviceman who served at the Australian Base (2Comp Ord Depot/2nd Advanced Ordnance Depot) at Vung Tau from August 1967 until May 1968. My first wife died in 1991 and I met my second wife NGUYEN Thi Sinh (Sinh or Cindy) in Vung Tau in 2002 & married her in 2005. We live in Melbourne Australia. Sinh worked first for the US (one unit then the PX at the Airport) then from 1968 until 1972 at the Australian Base (Peter Badcoe Club at Back Beach). She was a Clerk/Typist & Interpreter. There are photos of her on my Vietnam Photo site.

    I have a Vietnam Photo Site which includes numerous photos from Aussie Vets during the war. I also have a special set on Vung Tau in 2010 to show Veterans what Vung Tau is like now. All those who served at Vung Tau (US, Aussies, Kiwis, Koreans & ARVN) may enjoy the photos on my site.

    Here are some links to my photo site. Have heaps more to add: (all my Collections) (all my Sets/Albums) (Badcoe Club and Australian R&C Centre) (Vung Tau 2010) It is a beautiful city now! (Vung Tau during war & now) (Nui Dat & other places) (1ALSG)

    As a matter of interest we have located many of our former Vietnamese Employees from our base. Some are still in Vung Tau, others elsewhere in Vietnam, some in the US & others in Australia. We also raise funds (from Aussie Vets) to help those who were left behind in Vietnam.

    Would love to hear what a lot of you think of my Photo Site either by comment on here or by email which is listed below.


    Stan &Sinh Middleton
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    7th June 2014

  82. Allen Lee says:

    I was stationed in Vung Tau from August 68 to May of 69. I was with Composite Team 2, 503rd PSC, 1st Log. Vung Tau was a great place to learn life for a 19 yr old Nebraska kid. If there is any one out there that served with me, give me a holler.

    • chuck lewis says:

      Mr. LEE I was there from 8/68 to 9/69 with HMSC 2nd.maint. bn. 1 st log. I also came from NEBRASKA OMAHA is where i was born and were you from OMAHA ? went to TECH HIGH. after V/T I went to PHU BAI for another year.

  83. Thomas Treadwell says:

    Chuck Lewis I have read your post and I was in HQ Platoon, HMSC 2ND MAINT BN, 4/ 68 to 4/69 I ran the Motor Pool and Maintenance Float section over in the back of Tech Supply yard. Don’t know if I knew you but was there the same time. I stood no duty because I came to Nam as a Sp-4. Did pull CQ and Shop CQ many times. Our group took care of the Vehicles that were damage in the field and if it took to long to repair by the Direct Support Platoon I gave them a rebuild vehicle that had been repaired, also worked with a guy Named Jim Roswell from Tech Supply Platoon that keep inventory or all the 6000 items we serviced in the Company, under Lt. Lewis and Lt Drain. I worked for a CW? don’t remember his name, but he was still there when I left in 4/69. Hear after that you all moved south to Can Tau or somewhere. Nice to hear from some one still alive after all these years. Am retired and now in Florida.

  84. Thomas Treadwell says:

    Chuck Lewis I have read your post and I was in HQ Platoon, HMSC 2ND MAINT BN, 4/ 68 to 4/69 I ran the Motor Pool and Maintenance Float section over in the back of Tech Supply yard. Don’t know if I knew you but was there the same time. I stood no duty because I came to Nam as a Sp-4. Did pull CQ and Shop CQ many times. Our group took care of the Vehicles that were damage in the field and if it took to long to repair by the Direct Support Platoon I gave them a rebuild vehicle that had been repaired, also worked with a guy Named Jim Roswell from Tech Supply Platoon that keep inventory or all the 6000 items we serviced in the Company, under Lt. Lewis and Lt Drain. I worked for a CW? don’t remember his name, but he was still there when I left in 4/69. Hear after that you all moved south to Can Tau or somewhere. Nice to hear from some one still alive after all these years. Am retired and now in Florida.

  85. Roger Cash says:

    I was stationed in Vung Tau with the Navy at the ammo depot next to the airfield from July 69-March 72. Lived off base downtown for most of the time. We received ammo via Delong Pier on LST’s and AB&T trucked it to the depot and then we distributed via our own trucks to bases far and wide. Anyone that was station at Vung Tau Navy Ordnance Depot please contact me. I have regular contact with three others..Steve Hattermann, Keith Penney and Steve Wyckoff.

  86. Allen Lee says:

    I worked in a hotel by Small mountain. Was the port call clerk for the army for the Mekong delta/Vung Tau area personnel. Our unit did transfer back to Bien Hoa in May 69. Finished my tour there. Where did you guys go on RR ? I went to Sydney and had a blast..

    Vung Tau was a great place, Grand Hotel, all the bars and especially back beach. Do you remember the MPC conversion? Some of my Vietnamese friends lost a lot of money.I have many fond memories of Vung Tau, not so many of Bien Hoa. There I found out that war is not so much fun. I am from Lincoln but I know Omaha well. Keep in touch

  87. chuck lewis says:

    TOM do you remember the 1st sgt. TACAHICHI i know i spelled it wrong but he was a good guy. i think my shop was on the other end of your building i was not there much, after going on perment guard i stayed away from the shops a lot. In sept of 69 our unit went north to PHU BAI i went home for good in nov 70. was the boat motor repair shop near you? were you there went we had the MPC EXCHANGE. it was a trip watching all that money made worthless overnight. I hate to say it but i’m stuck in CALIF. now we want to move to AZ. but grand kids you know.

  88. Dennis Henegar says:

    Was trained as a Vietnamese linguist in El Paso on Biggs Army Airfield at Ft Bliss and then was stationed in Vung Tau where I taught English to ARVN students at an old French complex downtown. I remember Mom and Pop Warren with great fondness and appreciation.

    Loved the beach and the people of Vung Tau … and the guys with whom I had the privilege of serving.

    Played many hours of outdoor basketball at the base!

  89. Robert "Bob" Rose says:

    I was stationed in Vung Tau with the Air Force’s 8th Aerial Port Detachment 1 from June 1968 to June 1969. Yes, I hung out on the beach and never climbed aboard the derelict freighter that ran aground like some did! I went into town a lot checking out the bars, R&R center, restaurants and every else I could. I recall the small movie theater and watching a Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis playing that was dubbed in Vietnamese! What a kick hearing the kids laugh hysterically at that humor. I watched the Australians go crazy over drinking pitchers of beer and yelling, “up the rooster and more piss” in several bars and even used their Gordon Woods surfboards and learned to surf in the South China Sea. Spent a lot on Saigon tea in the bars, watched the lines increase every morning in the “clap line” at the dispensary outside our passenger terminal and even had the delightful experience of an emergency landing in Saigon on a C-97 Flying Box car. But that was so many years ago and memories that are as fresh today as then. To my fellow soldiers and veterans, I welcome all of you home and thank you for your valued friendships.

  90. Dan Nolan says:

    Where did you live? When I was there all Air Force personnel lived in a hotel in town. I left in June 66. I’m hoping you lived there too and have some pictures of the hotel you could share.

  91. Gary Withrow says:

    I was stationed in Vung Tau from Apr ’67 to Apr 68. First 6 months I was with the Security Platoon that guarded the R&R Center, 1st Logistics Command Headquarters, officer billets etc. Last 6 months I worked in \hold baggage\ on the air force base.

    Anyone else work these areas?

    • alan k abraham says:

      Gary : I was on the airfield from Aug 65 until Sep 66 and a member of the 765th Security Platoon , all Infantry personnel . Looks like you were there during Tet . I have often wondered if Vung Tau , including the airfield got popped during Tet . I have seen many different versions . My email outside of this site is .If you choose to respond , please respond on my personal email . AA

  92. Elmer Oltmann says:

    Hi John, just stumbled across this site while looking for Vung Tau info on the web. I was with D Co. from June 1967 till Feb. 1969, I did get transferred to the 9th Inf. for a couple of months but soon figured out if I extended for 6 months, I could get back to VT as well as a 30 free leave back in the world. I worked on telephone switching gear and long distance sending gear. I was housed in some villa when I first got there complete with wild monkeys everywhere, then in a tent on base and finally a wooden structure, spent a lot of time filling sand bags and partying. I brought sand bags up to VC hill a couple of times and had to pull guard duty a few times.

    VT did get hit during Tet, not too bad some damage and the worst part was the town was off-limits for a while. I got stabbed in the stomach and hand from some of our \Charlie\ friends, nothing too serious. I have felt the effects of the Agent Orange spraying, 50% VA disability due to Prostate Cancer and Diabetes.

  93. Art says:

    Message for Elmer,
    You should be rated at 100% for prostrate cancer.
    Have you made a decision as to your procedure yet. If not then get back to me as Ihad treatment 7 months ago and it has very few side effects.

  94. John M Muchler says:

    I was with D company of the 41st Signal Battalion that was attached to the 39th Signal Battalion. I remember the Villa very well. you could see the island that the local troops used for artillery practice. Then to the base and finally wooden. I worked for the Operations Officer at the Communication center. Left November 16, 1967 as my 2 year draft time was over. Guard duty on VC Hill. holding a 30 cal that I had never fired along with my M-14 and a box of ammo. Went into town many times and
    really did not mind the duty. Once back in states, never put on a uniform again.


  95. Stan Middleton says:

    Hi Elmer

    Cable car up VC (Radar) Hill now! I was an Aussie at Vung Tau in 1967-68. have a look at my Photo Site on Vietnam. A lot on Vung Tau & also Vung Tau in 2010. (Vung Tau 2010)

    The following link gets you direct to all my collections: (all my Collections on Vietnam on Flickr)

    This link will take you direct to my Vung Tau collections: (my collections on Vung Tau)

    This link will take you direct to all my sets: (all my sets)


    Stan Middleton from Melbourne Australia

  96. Stan Middleton says:

    Hi John

    Cable car up VC (Radar) Hill now! I was an Aussie at Vung Tau in 1967-68. have a look at my Photo Site on Vietnam. A lot on Vung Tau & also Vung Tau in 2010. (Vung Tau 2010)

    The following link gets you direct to all my collections: (all my Collections on Vietnam on Flickr)

    This link will take you direct to my Vung Tau collections: (my collections on Vung Tau)

    This link will take you direct to all my sets: (all my sets)


    Stan Middleton from Melbourne Australia

  97. John muchler says:

    Great photos. Some look very familiar. It is so sad that some had agent orange. The VA tested me a couple of years after I returned and told me I was not in an area where agent orange was used. I have looked at the photos and can not believe the changes. Thanks for the info

  98. Stan Middleton says:

    Thanks John, Off to Vietnam again in 3 weeks. Taking a group of Aussies Vets & partners on a 5 week tour of Vietnam & Cambodia.
    Regards Stan

  99. Robert Miller says:

    Hi guys, I just discovered this website while searching for info on the 2nd Maint Bn. I arrived in VT early June 67 and stayed until April 68 when my 2yr contract was up. I was the Shop Officer for the Main Support Company for several months and then moved to Bn Hq as a staff officer, later I moved to the 53 General Support Group as Group Ammunition Officer before I rotated home.
    VT was a good assignment and I don’t think I worked as hard as that again thru my civilian job, 12 hr/7days/week. Everyone is talking about the beaches and I didn’t get a day off for three months and then only a half day.
    I remember LTC Koos, MAJ Wegner, CPT Johnston (S-1) LTs Malavos, Johnston, time has clouded the names of all the other fine men I served with and only wish I could forget LTC Hillman who took Koos place.
    I applied for VA disability for Agent Orange, had prostate cancer and diabetes, and have 40% disability, had 100% but they downgraded it.
    I still want to go back just to see how the old place looks.

  100. Doug Deweese says:

    Came in to VT as crewman on USS Carronade(FTGSN) 1967-1969.My section did not get liberty there but some of the others did.They made the rest of us envious .My high school buddie was a machinist mate on the USS Tutuila ARG 4.He talked highly of the places in town.I returned to the States as an FTG-2 aboard the USS Kemper Cty.We got around Vietnam providing inshore fire support for the Army and Marine Corp.We operated with the O-1 Bird Dog Crews as they spotted our free fire missions all along the coastline and river mouths.Having a hard time connecting with crew mates as we are all aging now.Health is deteriorating with insulin dependent Diabetis and prostate issues.I just got bumped to 60 percent,but it took a while.Welcome home all that survived those years and wishing all God’s Speed!

  101. Thank you for the great info!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

, , , ,

Sponsored Content: