Facts, information and articles about John Bell Hood, a Civil War General during the American Civil War

John Bell Hood Facts

John Bell HoodBorn

June 1, 1831 or June 29, 1831 Owingsville, Kentucky


August 30, 1879 New Orleans, Louisiana


First Lieutenant (USA)
Lieutenant General (CSA)

Years Of Service

1853–61 (USA)
1861–65 (CSA)

John Bell Hood Articles

Explore articles from the HistoryNet archives about John Bell Hood

» See all John Bell Hood Articles

John Bell Hood summary: In 1831 John Bell Hood was born to English descent parents. Hood attended the United States Military Academy, against his fathers’ wishes. Three acquaintances from the Academy were later to become members of the opposing force in battles with him.

Hood In The Civil War

Hood preferred his adoptive state of Texas over his native Kentucky state, and joined the Confederate army of the 4th Texas Infantry where he quickly became a colonel. As he was well known for his aggressive behaviour to lead his men himself into battle, they became known as an elite combat unit. At the Seven Days Battle, Hood victoriously broke through the Union defense and was the only officer without any injuries. But at the Battle of Gettysburg, Hood collided with Union forces at Little Round Top, where his left arm was severely wounded and was of no use for the rest of his life. Hood went to recuperate in Virginia.

At the battle of Chickamauga, on September 18th 1863, Hood was again severely wounded. This time his right leg had to be amputated and he was sent back to Virginia to recuperate again. During this recuperation period Hood became friends with Jefferson Davis who offered Hood the position of corps commander. Hood accepted and returned to battle despite his disabilities. On July 17th 1864, after previous disagreements with General Joseph E. Johnston which had been brought to the attention of Davis, Hood was promoted to temporary full General, though he was demoted back to lieutenant general on January 23rd 1865.

Franklin-Nashville Campaign

After a massive defeat in Atlanta, Davis and Hood met to discuss the next strategic plan. Davis informed Hood of his disappointment in the loss of almost 20,000 men. Davis was thinking of replacing Hood, but decided against it and put General G.P.T Beauregard as a new theatre commander to supervise Hood. Hood was still in charge of the seven battles of the Tennessee campaign which occurred between September and December 1864. During this time, the opposition troops passed by Hoods’ camp unnoticed during the night, and the next day he marched his troops over almost two miles of open land without artillery. Sometimes known as the “Pickett’s Charge of the West”, Hoods’ troops suffered severe casualties. Again at the battle of Nashville, Hood was again defeated and his depleted waned army retreated to Mississippi. He was the replaced by Lieutenant General Richard Taylor on January 23rd 1865. After a meeting with Taylor, Hood was advised to surrender, which he did.

John Bell Hood After The War

After the war, Hood married Anna Marie Hennen in 1868 and bore 11 children, of which there were three pairs of twins. They lived in Louisiana where he became a cotton broker and later the President of the Life Assurance of America. Yellow fever claimed his life just days after his wife and eldest child died.


Articles Featuring John Bell Hood From HistoryNet Magazines

Articles 1

[cat totalposts=’21’ offset=’0′ category=’1300′ excerpt=’true’ order=’desc’ orderby=’post_date’]

Articles 2

[cat totalposts=’21’ offset=’21’ category=’1300′ excerpt=’true’ order=’desc’ orderby=’post_date’]