The Mississippi state capital of Jackson offers a number of intriguing Civil War sites worth visiting on any tour of Vicksburg and the Vicksburg National Military Park. Jackson is 45 miles east of Vicksburg, connected by Interstate 20.
300 E. Capitol St.
Designed by famed English architect William Nichols, the second oldest governor’s residence in the United States was built in 1842 at a cost of $50,000. Sherman and his officers celebrated the surrender of Vicksburg in the mansion’s main dining room.
Old Capitol Museum
100 S. State St.
Also designed by Nichols, the old capitol fortunately was spared the torch and wrecking ball. The building was the site of Mississippi’s secession in January 1861 and housed Union troops during Jackson’s occupation. Multimedia exhibits inform visitors of Mississippi’s history, including its role during the Civil War.
420 E. Fortification St
This Gothic revival house, now a museum, was the home of Charles Manship, Jackson’s mayor during the war.
The Oaks House
823 N. Jefferson
The Boyd family home survived Jackson’s burning.
Downtown Vicksburg also has several Civil War-era mansions and homes worth a look, included below.
1010 First East St.
The Antebellum home that survived the siege, and where Jefferson Davis once spoke from the front balcony. It is noted today for its fine dining.
Duff Green Manor
1114 First East St.
Served as a hospital for both sides. The floor still has bloodstains, and a cannonball remains wedged in the roof beams.
1445 Harrison St.
Served as a field hospital and a campground. The owner, John Bobb, was shot by Union troops after he confronted them over picking flowers in his garden.
Pemberton’s Headquarters (Willis-Cowan House)
1018 Crawford St.
Vicksburg’s commander, Lt. Gen. John Pemberton, appropriated the home of John Willis. It served as his headquarters during the siege.